Employment Opportunity: Pictou County Women's Resource and Sexual Assault Centre
Are you a student interested in using your experience, initiative and knowledge to work collaboratively to develop a greater understanding of Pictou County’s housing crisis and support development of solutions to help resolve this crisis?
PCWRSAC is looking for a skilled summer student to join our team as a term Housing Development Officer.
PCWRSAC is the oldest women’s centre in Nova Scotia with a rich history of working collaboratively with community. We are an active member of the Pictou County Housing Coalition and will be supporting this summer term position. More about PCWRSAC can be found at www.womenscentre.ca
PCWRSAC is committed to diversity and inclusivity and welcomes all candidates.
The Housing Development Officer will work report to PCWRSAC and work with members of the Pictou County Housing Coalition to undertake the following:
- Research and Collaboration:
- Collaborate, network with community partners including Pictou County Housing Coalition
- Gather relevant information on housing specific to Pictou County
- Research funding and financial supports for addressing housing needs in Pictou County
- Gather information on the Provincial Government Housing Strategy and the new Housing Branch of the Department of Community Services
- Research Housing models for communities similar to Pictou County that are sustainable, affordable and supportive
- When possible, create environments and opportunities to have housing issues addressed in policy development and government strategies (municipal, provincial and federal)
- Facilitate meetings, minute keeping and collaborative action planning regarding housing needs
- Create / update Housing Resource Kit for community supports to use as a guide to assist those searching for affordable, adequate and safe housing
- Development and Reporting
- Develop information packages for distribution to agencies and organizations to help diverse populations navigate the housing market
- Raising awareness of housing issues in our community
- Report writing and public education presentations regarding housing in Pictou County
- Produce a presentation on housing needs and viable solutions
- Work with the housing coalition to further develop the housing coalition and housing strategies for Pictou County
- Meeting deadlines
- Carrying out all duties in a friendly, non-judgmental, women-centered approach
- Abide by COVID-19 restrictions including cleaning responsibilities.
- Work within and abide by PCWRSAC policies and procedures
- Position is an 8-week term at 32 hours a week, hourly rate $13.10 per hour.
- Must have strong research skills related to the affordable housing environment
- Must be able to work independently and within a team in an office environment.
- Must have good communication skills including written, oral and technical skills
- Must have own reliable transportation
- Must have a police record check and child abuse registration check both in good standing
- Must have experience conducting research, navigation and report writing
- Must be a student as defined by Canada Summer Jobs funding
If you are interested, please apply by email to email@example.com as soon as you can, but no later than May 13th.
Job Type: Canada Summer Student
Rate of Pay: $13.10 per hour, 32 hours per week, 8-week term starting June 1st.