Antigonish Women’s Resource Centre and Sexual Assault Services Association
Antigonish Women’s Resource Centre & Sexual Assault Services Association is located in the Kirk Building, 219 Main Street, Suite 204 (above Tim Hortons). You can drop in to have a cup of coffee, browse our library, or sit in our comfy couches. We also offer a range of services and programs to women, adolescent girls, and their families.
Feel free to phone us at (902) 863-6221 or email us.
Our SANE Program serves Pictou county and the entire Guysborough Antigonish Strait Health Authority.
The SANE Program is funded by the Nova Scotia Department of Health, and coordinated by the Antigonish Women’s Resource Centre in partnership with Guysborough Antigonish Strait Health Authority (GASHA) and St. Francis Xavier University (STFX). A SANE is a Registered Nurse who has advanced training and education in forensic examinations of sexual assault victims. Through this program, on-call SANE nurses provide immediate care and conduct forensic examinations of victims of sexual violence.
Our services are provided in a supportive, nonjudgmental, and confidential manner and can be obtained by calling 1-877-880-SANE(7263) or by contacting any of the following:
- Hospital ER
- SANE Coordinator
- Antigonish Women's Resource Centre
- St. FX Health & Counseling Centre
- Your doctor
The SANE program provides:
- Emergency response, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Services to both females and males, 13 years of age and older
- a sensitive and thorough sexual assault examination and forensic examination (evidence collection)
- Expert testimony in a court of law
- choices about whether or not to involve the police
- information about community resources that can be accessed for ongoing support
- Storage of forensic evidence for up to six months