Cape Breton Transition House
24 Hour Help Line: 539-2945 Toll Free 1-800-563-2945
The Cape Breton Transition House offers shelter and services in Sydney, Cape Breton and Victoria counties.
Local: (902) 539-2945
Toll Free: 1-800-563-2945
Outreach: (902) 562-3045
Child Care Counsellor: (902) 562-1336
Education/Fundraising: (902) 562-4190
Cape Breton Transition House Association (Society) was formed in 1979. The association set out to raise funds which were subsequently matched by the Province of Nova Scotia. The association purchased the house and undertook extensive renovations. Cape Breton Transition House became a reality on February 12, 1981.
Cape Breton Transition House coordinated an integrated approach to family violence – the Cape Breton Inter-agency on Family Violence.
- Two crisis lines 24-hours-a-day.
- Our services are strictly confidential.
- Support and shelter to women and children who are emotionally, physically, or sexually abused.
- Information on the cycle of violence, a protection plan, the stages a woman faces in a battering relationship, etc.
- Counselling to develop a renewed sense of self worth and understanding that no one deserves to be battered.
- Therapeutic Childcare Program for children who accompany their mothers to Transition House.
- Adolescent program for teenagers who accompany their mothers to Transition House.
- Outreach program for women in the community who need assistance, and offer support groups for women in the Industrial Area, who live in or have left abusive relationships.
- Public education program for schools, service agencies, and the community at large.
- We provide support to women in court.
- We offer two second stage housing units (safe affordable housing). MacAdam House is located in Glace Bay and Callwood House is in Sydney.